Friday, March 7, 2008

Meeting Rob Thomas

So here is how one of the greatest of days in the life of me shook out…

I don't think the blogosphere is the best place for me to get into how I arranged this meeting, but let's just say it was completely on the up and up and totally legal ;-) I am in the fan club after all...

With that said, I was ushered into the World Arena in Colorado Springs to meet Matchbox Twenty. I had planned on taking my mom to this concert for a while now to celebrate her kicking the cancer, so she was the lucky one who got to experience this with me! We went down into the bowels of the arena as MB20 was just finishing soundcheck (they were playing the song they would cover that night Low). We waited…and waited…and waited. While we were waiting, we were arranged into small groups for our picture. In my group was a woman named Bobbie who knew the band "back when" as they say. She helped promote them as they made it big in the industry, transitioning from Tabitha's Secret to Matchbox 20. She had the craziest old school picture of her and Rob and also works now to promote two of my favorite artists: Jon McLaughlin and Emerson Hart. She was impressed with my knowledge of both MB20 history and Jon McLaughlin…and is definitely someone I need to be friends with!

When the band finally arrived the first thing we did was take our group photo. While I was totally hoping for an individual shot, these were the cards that were dealt and I was indeed grateful. As they made it to our group I pretty much invited Rob to saddle right up next to me. Below is the big picture. The picture quality is pretty much terrible (gotta love our beautiful surroundings and florescent light) but I look cute and Rob looks cute...so we'll see what I can make happen in Photoshop.

At that point the band split up and went around to sign autographs for everyone. All of the guys were really great and tried to establish a connection with you. The first guy, Brian, asked my name. The rest of our conversation went a little like this (my mom was impressed about how quickly I picked up where he was going with his LA question….):

Him: Hi Brea. Have you ever been to LA?

Me: Yes. I've cruised La Brea Blvd. but haven't yet made it to the tar pits.

Him: [Laughing]

He then proceeds to sign my photo with the following:

Brea,

Love yer tar pits.

Brian

Seriously? That's pretty obnoxious...but also pretty awesome.

The rest of the guys worked their way around…it should be noted that this band, in general, is pretty little in stature. I honestly think my first thought when they came in the room was "man, they're little buddies!"

Then came the big moment. My one on one time with the one, the only, Rob Thomas. Anyone who knows me knows I pretty much "love" lots of people and things…and have a lot of "boyfriends"…but to put it in terms that the people of today will understand…Rob is my Hannah Montana. His voice is amazing and his songs "speak" to me. What can I say…he's not that bad looking either.

He was talking to Bobbie for a while and then he worked his way over to me. And what did I do? I kind of froze. Hello…Rob Thomas was standing right in front of me! My eyes welled up and even though I willed them not to, they spilled over. So yes, I essentially cried when I met Rob Thomas. Who on earth would have ever thought I would be "that girl." I think I even told him that and that's when I got my first hug. I guess you've got to love the raw emotion, right? Anyway, I maintained a relatively normal level of composure throughout the rest of the conversation that included not one, but TWO hugs (I guess tears really work) and a restaurant recommendation in Denver (He ate at Osteria Marco…a new restaurant in Larimer Square for lunch that day and loved it)…had I had my wits about me I would have invited him to take me back there for lunch the next day! He signed my photo and my ticket…he signed the ticket "Brea, Much Love, Rob Thomas." Much love indeed.

And then they were gone. I've probably built this moment up pretty big time in my head throughout the past few years wondering what it would be like to meet him...and it definitely lived up to everything I could have hoped for and more (well, I probably wouldn't have cried...).

From there we went and grabbed some dinner and then took in the show. They played for two hours and it was pretty much amazing (like always). We had great 4th row seats so I ended up taking about 100+ pictures. One would think I spent the whole time taking pictures, but nope…plenty of time to take pictures and rock out.

Went to the Broomfield show the next night with Julie where I got the amazing live recording (its seriously amazing). Another great show.

I heart Rob Thomas. The End.

No comments: