Friday, March 7, 2008

Election reflections...

Since this whole election drama unfolded via text message while I was living the dream on Tuesday night...I haven't had a lot of time to reflect here on the 'old blog. So here are some random thoughts about what went down, and what is coming next.

First of all, let me be juvenile and allow my friends at Southpark to "Blame Canada" for Clinton's NAFTA-gate...which royally screwed my candidate.

"Tiny and Very Republican, Wyoming a Player in Democratic Presidential Race" -9News.com

Go Pokes! It's really exciting to see the focus go into Wyoming...and even though they have about 50 less delegates than Puerto Rico (which I kind of think is wrong...since Wyoming is actually a state in this union, but whatever)...I really believe that every state counts and the proud minority up there in that big, red, square state will have their voices heard on Saturday at the "Cowyboy Caucus." We'll be tuning in to the internet while attending the Denver County Democratic Convention and once again, casting my vote (loud and clear) for Barack Obama (while wearing a Wyoming for Obama t-shirt)!

I also hope the campaign doesn't get too nasty. Clinton has egged Obama on time after time and he's remained calm, cool and collected...but as we saw on Tuesday, negative tactics work on the American people...and Obama can no longer afford to sit back and let the Clinton campaign rake him through the coals with unsubstantiated and silly arguments. I better buckle up though...because I'm sure its going to be a bumpy and frustrating ride.

Here is an interesting article from Rolling Stone featuring the hilarious quote: "I try not to fall in love with too many men, but this is the best damn one we've had since John Kennedy." They also endorse the Senator from Illinois and say by electing him as President we will "send a message to ourselves and to the world that we truly do stand for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Couldn't have said it better myself...

A lot of folks who know my interest in this campaign love to throw out the hypothetical "What if Obama doesn't make it?" I struggle with even thinking that this will enter this realm of uninspired reality. Then I stumbled upon the blogings of a guy named Joe who summed up exactly what my feelings will be (and I only wish I could be so eloquent):

If my horse doesn't finish in this race can I pack up and go home? On a certain intellectual level I can't, both out of democratic responsibility and out of character. But my heart will go home, my imagination will hurriedly pack its bags, and my hope -my young romantic hopeful optimism- will not be extended to Clinton (or McCain), for it is a virtue to precious to be left in such callous hands, to be wielded with such crude strokes. Someone else could get my vote, but they could not win it or earn it, only steal it from me under duress of having to face the greater evil with the lesser. Is this all melodramatic? Probably, but this is a politics with real consequence, so we must think through our alliances and commitments. --Joe

No comments: