Monday, September 7, 2009

Longhorns Week 1

Welcome to my weekly round-up of all things Texas Football. I know, you are excited.

Saturday brought the end to perhaps the longest felt football drought in the history of me being a Longhorns fan. College football finally arrived. We played Louisiana-Monroe, and won 59-20. The game was on PPV and since the fam was arriving at the airport during game time, my pops and I watched a fast forwarded version of the game looking for all of the plays that I had read about on twitter! Hard to get a good sense of it all, but...

A breakdown of the good:

McCoy to Shipley for something like 78 yards and a TD...makes me very happy.
Kick-return for a touchdown. SPECIAL TEAMS, BABY!
Winning the game, obviously.

A breakdown of the bad:
Turnovers. Too many against a weak team.
Allowing the other team something like a 74-yard touchdown pass (this is the play we followed by a kick return for a TD, but still). Secondary? Hello?
Can you still see the tower from the stadium or do you just have to watch the tower turn orange on godzillatron?

Speaking of godzillatron, there was quite a twitter conversation regarding an advertisement that ATT had on godzillatron during the game (regarding the iphone, I believe) and SHOCKINGLY, ATT service was null, zero, zilch at DKR. While I have probably not blogged about it nearly enough, I HATE ATT and Apple better rid themselves of the exclusivity of the iphone agreement or they'll be losing a customer come next summer.

Around the college football universe, CU lost to CSU (WOOT!) and OU lost to BYU. I choose to focus on the fact that BYU won rather than the fact that OU's QB, Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford, could be out for the season...bad juju to get excited about something like that. Text convo of the week from Jess regarding that game:

J - Wow! BYU beat #3 oklahoma! And hurt Bradford for you! crazy mormons!
Me - I'm thinking of converting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J - Don't go overboard. Battle of the unbeatens next week! ;)

Perfect segway to the fact that we get to see my boys play in Wyoming on Saturday and that, my friends, makes me very happy. Get your horns up. WAY (as in 7200 feet) up.

PS - I'm in a pick 'ems this season with my parentals as my teammates and we got 2nd place out of 70!!! That doesn't mean any cash for us, but the weekly payout is around $175 so hopefully this week we win big or at least keep ourselves in the running to take it all for the entire season. I think our loss boils down to a bit of USC hatred and thus, we didn't think they'd cover the spread on their victory. Boy, were we wrong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Go Pokes!!!
Hook em' horns!!!