Saturday, September 5, 2009

Summer, Sunsets and Sangria

I hosted August Wine Club (1 day late on 9/1) and had a Sangria party. I've wanted to make Sangria for a long time, and this was my chance. I made two batches, one a traditional red sangria with grapes, blueberries, brandy and champagne and the other, a Peach Basil sangria that was some of the most delicious stuff I've ever tasted. I'll include the recipe below, and I know I'll be making it again soon!

The ingredients...lots of fruit and booze.




Peach Basil Sangria


3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
3 1/2 cups peach nectar (available in most local markets)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 bottle Pinot Grigio, chilled
Sliced peaches to garnish

Procedure
In a saucepan combine half the peach nectar, sugar, basil leaves, and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Smash the basil leaves with the back of a wooden spoon to release the flavor into the syrup. Remove from the stove and let cool. Strain this mixture into a pitcher and add ice. Then add the chilled white wine, some fresh basil leaves, and some sliced peaches.

No comments: